As the joyful holiday season approaches, one culinary tradition that has graced many tables around the world is the centerpiece of a succulent ham for Christmas dinner. The tender and flavorful meat, coated in a glaze that’s a harmonious blend of sweetness and spiciness, makes for a memorable feast that brings families and friends together to celebrate the spirit of togetherness and goodwill.
Recipe: Honey-Glazed Christmas Ham
- 1 bone-in fully cooked ham (8-10 pounds)
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whole cloves (for garnish)
- Prepare the Ham:
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Place the ham on a roasting rack in a large roasting pan. Score the surface of the ham in a diamond pattern, making shallow cuts about 1 inch apart.
- Make the Glaze:
- In a saucepan, combine honey, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, ground cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring continuously until the sugar is dissolved and the glaze is well combined. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Glaze the Ham:
- Brush a generous amount of the glaze over the entire surface of the ham, ensuring it gets into the scored cuts.
- Insert whole cloves into the intersections of the diamond pattern on the ham’s surface.
- Roast the Ham:
- Place the ham in the preheated oven and roast it uncovered for about 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches around 140°F (60°C). Baste the ham with the remaining glaze every 20-30 minutes.
- Let it Rest:
- Once the ham has reached the desired temperature, remove it from the oven and let it rest for about 15-20 minutes. The internal temperature will continue to rise to the recommended 145°F (63°C) for safe consumption.
- Slice and Serve:
- Carve the ham into thin slices and arrange them on a serving platter.
- Serve the deliciously glazed ham alongside your favorite holiday sides like mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, and cranberry sauce.
A honey-glazed ham is not only a culinary delight but also a symbol of abundance and warmth that perfectly captures the essence of Christmas. The aroma of the spices and the glossy sheen of the glaze evoke a sense of nostalgia and create lasting memories for years to come.
So, this Christmas, gather your loved ones around the table, savor the flavors, and cherish the moments as you indulge in the delightful tradition of enjoying a beautifully glazed ham as the centerpiece of your festive feast.